You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Secret Societies

Ok, this is a strange question, but...are any of you out there Freemasons? My husband is thinking about joining (he has found out he knows several masons) and I just want to get some thoughts on it.

I have had a few members of my family in years past (Way past. We're talking my great-great grandfather and great uncles and aunts) who were Masons or in the Order of the Eastern Star (the women's version of the masons), but I have never known, at least that I'm aware of, any current members of any "secret societies".

I'd like to know something more about them. I know they aren't devil-worshipping heathens. I know they do good things. But I am not sure how I feel about my husband becoming one. Do they drink alot? How often do they meet? What's their deal?

If you have anything to offer, please feel free to post a comment anonymously or email me. I'm just very curious and want to know a bit more what my hub may be getting into.

2 comments:

ChrisB said...

I have family members who are Masons but I expect it is slightly different in the UK.

I don't know an awful lot about it but I do know they raise a lot of money for charity but do not make this public. It can be very time consuming if they get very involved. Here there are sometimes ladies nights (like dinner and dance). I'm sure you can look it up on the internet and find out more.

Unknown said...

My grandma and her sisters were Eastern Stars, not sure about the rest of the family. :)