You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Friday, May 3, 2013

My Cracker Grandma

My Grandma, Louella McCollister Miller.


She was born at home in Hatchbend Florida on September 22, 1905.   My Grandma loved to fish.  She loved her gardens - vegetables and flowers.  She loved to laugh.  She loved her whiskey and her smokes.  She was a strong woman that I only ever saw cry one time after her only daughter, my Aunt Mary, died.

I keep pictures of her in my bedroom.  I still have my very first fishing rod and reel that she gave me.  I think I was maybe 6 years old.  A Zebco (of course!).  She would always have to put the worms on for me because I hated the way they would squirt worm juice when you run the hook through them.  I still can't put a worm on a hook.

She loved God and was active in her church.

She cared about all her children, grand children and great-grand children.  She knew where everyone was and what they were up to (well, most of the time).

She was very opinionated.

She always drove a Volkswagon beetle.  Her last one was a '65 that I really wanted, but my Dad sold it while I was living in Texas :(

She held a lot of different jobs, but what I remember when I was young was her selling Avon and babysitting.  "Here's My Heart" was her favorite perfume.

She had tiny, narrow feet.

She rarely wore dresses or bras.

She kept her booze in the nightstand that now sits next to my bed.  No booze in it now, though!

She didn't believe in alien life because it didn't say anything about it in the Bible.

She liked to watch the Lawrence Welk Show.

She told me her favorite brother was named Velpoe.  He died when she was little from a ruptured appendix. His real name was Asa Velpoe.  Why he liked going by "Velope" is beyond me!

I wish I had a recording of her voice, and more of her memories written down.  But she is in my heart forever and I miss her everyday.

I love you, Grandma!  ...and I will see you again one day... XXOOXXOO


4 comments:

GizmoGeodog said...

That's beautiful Chris...you have roots down here that few can claim...Thanks for sharing today

SwampAngel65 said...

Thanks, Beth!

Sandcastle Momma said...

What a wonderful tribute. As I read about her I saw a lot of the things I read from you. What a wonderful treat to have such strong female roots.

SwampAngel65 said...

Thanks, Ann. I think those of us with strong Florida roots have something very special in common.