You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Some Crazy Redneck Fun

Have you ever heard of lawnmower racing? Up until not too long ago, I'd never heard of it either. But this past weekend, I was invited to go to the lawnmower races in Avon Park.


My good friends, Suhzon and Corky who live in Sebring, invited Aidan and I to go with them to the races. They'd been before to watch a friend of their's (and fellow geocacher) race his mower and thought I'd enjoy it. I'd read about it in a magazine and it sounded like fun, so we met up with them Saturday evening to head over to Avon Park.



There were quite a few people there... bleachers, hotdogs and the sound of motors racing! Did you know there are different classes of mowers? I knew there were push mowers and riding mowers, but that's about it. These mowers are incredible!


I asked Dave how fast his mower goes, and he said, "On the highway or on the track?"


Are you serious??? "Okaaay", I said "...on the highway."


"74."


Oh. My. God.


"And between 38-40mph on the track."





Dave won first place in his class and gave his trophy to Aidan. How cool is that?


This is his 74 mph mower. (Heh, and I am happy with my new motorless reel mower!)



It was a fun night. Just some crazy redneck fun and I can't wait to see more!
If you want to see a short video I took, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stAiNinXwMo

3 comments:

Sayre said...

In my parents neck of the woods, lawmowers are a form of transportation. Don't need a license for it, so they ride them after their licenses are revoked.

Sandcastle Momma said...

That looks like fun and I know my boys would love it! I've heard of it but never seen it. 74mph? That's amazing.
I'll bet Aidan is really happy with that trophy.

SophieMae said...

74mph??? Get outa here!

Didn't you see the Home Improvement episode where Tim raced Bob Villa? What a hoot!

That trophy's just about as big as Aidan! Did he sleep with it? 8-]