You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Greenway Trails

After doing a few chores this morning, I loaded up the kids and we headed out to find a cache and hide a cache. Our gps led us to one of the trailheads for the Florida Greenway Trail. We've explored some of these trails before, and they're kind of fun, but mostly, they are pretty boring. Most are bordered by farmland. There's no shade and nothing spectacular to look at. Oh sure, you may see a gator or a hawk, but down here those are pretty common. Just long rock roads that you can only walk or bike down. Years ago we rode our bikes for miles down one of the trails. It was interesting because the trail we were on went throught what I assume was old military land. We found a large bunker-looking building that was kind of cool to explore in. Creepy, like we shouldn't have been in there, but there were no signs saying otherwise. I'd love to get back out there one day and hide a cache in it, but it was a really long ride. Maybe one day I'll get inspired to bike out there again.

I didn't take any pictures because, like I said, there was nothing interesting enough for me to take any of. If you ever find yourself heading down to the Everglades National Park, you'll pass a few of these trails. If the weather is nice, go ahead and make a pitstop at one of them. You may get lucky and see more than I did today!

No comments: