You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Banyans

Looking through some of my pictures today, I realized I had these that I hadn't posted yet. So here they are...this Banyan is actually one tree. It is supposedly one of the largest in the country.

Geocaching brought us to this tree in Coral Gables. Imagine trying to find a small, camoflauged pill bottle in all these roots!
Well, we did! It took us 3 tries, but we finally found it.
Deep in the middle of all this, the roots form a cavelike space that reminds me of that scene in The Empire Strikes Back, when Luke had to go into that tree to face his dark side...


2 comments:

SophieMae said...

Oh, man! How I miss south Flarda! I so need to move back where I can grow banyans and Royal Poinciana and all those other unique tropicals. Great job fnding the cache in there! 8-]

I just recently learned that banyans are host plants for the Ruddy Daggerwing. And the Gumbo Limbo, my all-time favourite funky-named tree, is host for the Dingy Purplewing.

SwampAngel65 said...

Wow, I didn't know that! Great info, thanks for sharing. I have a Gumbo Limbo in my yard, but no Banyans. I'll have to keep my eyes open for those DP's!