You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why does this keep happening to me?

Thursday I went to see my new neurologist. It was only my second time seeing him. I got in the exam room and he told me that he was leaving in 30 days. In a nutshell, it's not the patients or staff, but the burocracy (I know I didn't spell that right) of the "higher ups". So he is going somewhere else...not far, but he couldn't tell me where. I told him I'd google him in a couple months and find out where he is and he smiled and said, "Yup! That'd work!". He has no idea who the doctor is that they're bringing in, and my old, original doctor has completely stopped seeing patients, although he is still active in the practice. So now I am wondering what to do: should I see the new doctor in a few months and see how they are? Or completely blow them off and follow my current doc? I think I'll keep my next appt. and at least meet the new person, and then make my decision. Ugh...I just hate when this happens.

Within the past couple years, it has happened to me alot...my dentist up and leaves town without a word, my eye doctor has left, my pediatrician disappeared off the face of the Earth without a word to anyone (and he had been in practice a very, very long time!), my son's dentist-the same thing and my original brain doc tells me he's going to stop seeing patients and they're bringing someone new in (my current doc).

Do these people not understand the stress they are putting their patients through when they pull up stakes and disappear like that?!?! I understand if they are leaving the practice to start somewhere else that they are not allowed to tell patients as they could then be accused of "stealing patients". But maybe they decided to retire or move away...why can't they have the courtesy to tell that to their patients?

If anyone knows why doctors nowadays seem to lack any respect for their patients when it comes to this, please...let me know.

In the future, I am going to bring a check list with me anytime I see a new doctor:

1. How long have you been in practice?
2. How many times have you moved?
3. Do you plan on moving anytime soon?
4. Do you plan on retiring soon?
5. If you were to decide to move or join another practice, would you have to common courtesy to let your longtime patients know OR would you disappear on them leaving them feeling abandoned and orphaned?
6. Huh, would you?
7. WOULD YOU?????

Current rant has ended. Hope y'all have a great weekend and stay warm!

6 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

Three of my current doctors (primary, eye, and dentist) are ones who were brought into a practice and worked along side the owner of the practice. Subsequently, the original optometrist and dentist both have retired and sold their practices to the new guys. Interesting shift which has worked out well.

My primary is close to my own age and unlikely to go anywhere soon. However, my neurologist is really pushing retirement age. I'm just wondering when he will be bringing on a replacement neurologist.....

Dani said...

I'm facing the same thing with my Dystrophy Dr. I've been with him for the last eight years and he's leaving to teach at a university. He's like part of the family and the thought of a new dr. causes me so much stress. I think I'll use your list when I meet the new one. :)

Sayre said...

I've been with my current doctor for about 20 years. I would be extremely pissed if he just disappeared.

Please stay away from my healthcare providers...

Sandcastle Momma said...

We have the same problem with my kid's doctors. One had a baby and never came back, one moved back up north because it was too hot here and one decided to open a men's clothing store instead of practicing medicine anymore (don't you know that doc's mom was pleased LOL)
We have one now that the kids love so I'm sure she'll be leaving soon too.
They should be able to tell patients where they're going - I don't see a doc because of the practice I see a doc because of the doc.

Anonymous said...

I'm split - I've had the same dentist for nearly 20 years, but I have had many doctors. As health insurance has made the medical process a nightmare for doctor and consumer both, movement becomes more frequent. Insurance has been the driving factor in changes for me - I worked for an employer that changed HMOs like underwear - and I'd frequently find my current practitioners were not on the new plan, so I'd have to switch. Twice a doc left the practice. I'm not under care for any conditions, but if I were, I'd want continuity in my healthcare. I hope your current doc is on your health insurance once he moves.

Unknown said...

I think the main reason docs are leaving Florida,is reimbursement is down,and law-suits and malpractice insurance is up. Obviously,tort reform hasn't been accomplished in Florida.
I like your questions to ask a new doc.Very well though out.And your idea to google your doc.He must have a non compete clause.