You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Meh...Fay, Schmay

I woke this morning to loud thunder and rain hitting my awnings. Got up and turned on the news and they now have us under a Tropical Storm Watch. So what... Fay is likely to strengthen to a Cat 1 sometime, but most likely to run up the west coast of Florida. The Keys are going to get messy, but don't they always?

Time to put up shutters? Hell no. I expect to see some paranoid folks barricading themselves in by the end of the day, but not us. Seriously, a Cat 1 is just not worth the effort. It's like having a real bad storm and that's about it. Maybe some tree branches down, but that'll be about it. Sure, there will be some flooding, but there always is down here when we have a good rain. It doesn't flood at all in my neighborhood, so I'm not worried about that.

So today will be nothing but a regular day off for me. Run a couple errands, cut the grass (when we get a nice sunny spell). Am I going to get bottles of water and canned food and ice? Again, hell no.

I lived through Andrew and it takes a helluva lot more to get me motivated!

My friends up north and along the west coast, maybe you guys should think about the shutters and such. I'll be thinking about each and every one of you when/if this stupid thing even hits land.

2 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

I wish I could be as relaxed as you are LOL I really don't think this will be a bad one and the current track doesn't bring it to me but I wish Fay would hurry up and be over. We lost everything in Frederick and my parents lost everything in Opal and in Ivan. Standing on the slab where your house used to be can leave a really bad impression of hurricanes. Cat 1 and 2 'canes I can deal with - but send a 3 or bigger towards me and I run for the hills LOL

SwampAngel65 said...

I hear ya! We went through Andrew that was a Cat 5, so really, the smaller ones I just don't worry about.