You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Fun Monday~ Off the Wall


This week's Fun Monday is hosted by Jan and she wants to know about our favorite walls:


We all have walls of some sort. What I want to hear about and see, if you're going to show off your amazing photo skills, is what is on your walls, what color are your walls, what is special about them, what is your favorite or least favorite, is it inside or outside. You get the idea, let's show and tell about walls.




This is the one and only wall that I ever got artsty-fartsy with. My Mom had just returned from a trip to Hawaii and had 100% Hula on the brain. I decided as a surprise for her to fix up her bathroom with prints she brought back from Hawaii and add some tropical looking things. I sponged the wall, and if I do say so myself, it turned out great. I made a custom towel rod out of a piece of bamboo, hung a fishing net over the window, added bamboo trim around the sink, changed the knobs on the cabinets to silver starfish, etc. My Mom loved it (and still does). It's my favorite wall.



This is my dining room, and the wall itself ain't nuttin special, but I've always loved the picture that's hanging there. I bought it in Texas when I was missing the beaches of Florida, and here it is, 20 years later and I still love it.



A long time ago I decided to frame old family pictures and hang them in our hallway, so I did. This side is my Dad and his family...





these are Sam when he was a baby...



and this is my Mom and her side of the family.



The worst part about having all those pictures up is CLEANING them!!!! Please don't tell me you can see the cobwebs and layers of dust on them...please...

So, I suppose those are my favorite walls, if I had to choose favorites. But really, I love all the walls in my house. They have all seen and heard alot of things, good and bad, happy and sad. They have protected my family through quite a few hurricanes and have stood strong. I think now I need to go do some cleaning and let my old house know how much I love and appreciate her.

Y'all have a good week!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with a lower lip protruding out with my best pouting face.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you took away the other comment that made me pout!

Hula, hula onward...if mom loves the wall than you did great.

A good week I will have.

Molly said...

The wall and room that you decorated for your mom are very nice. I am rather missing the beaches of Florida right this minute. (I like your Fun Monday logo.)

Heather said...

Your bathroom is cool! And I love looking at family photos.

(My hallway photos are always covered with dust - I've kind of quit fighting it!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you wanna come sponge paint my bathroom next?!

Anonymous said...

Love all the family history on your walls. Our walls really have survived quite a bit "if walls could talk" Have fun dusting and windexing :0)

Jan said...

The 'family' walls are great. I see some familiar poses on your walls, we're either related or our elders knew the same photographers.

ChrisB said...

That is a lovely gallery for all your family photos. Such a great way to display them, and I bet there's no dust!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

100% Hula---Now that's my kind of bathroom!

Jo Beaufoix said...

These are fab. Your wall is lovely and I love all the family pics. You look like a very stylish bunch.

Anonymous said...

Love the hula room. I can't deal with white walls. My stairwell is my "go nuts " area that is so hard to explain without a picture, but the colors are canary yellow and dark orange with fuschia doors, cobalt blue trim and gold accents sponge painted in a pattern on the walls.

And no, I am not color blind ;)

Unknown said...

I love that you have family all over your walls. But that dusting thing is the reason I have nothing on mine. :)

storyteller said...

I love the ‘ocean inspired’ décor you’ve displayed. I couldn’t get photos of my favorite pieces w/o glare and I’m wondering how you managed. It’s fun to have all those photos framed and on display, but you’re right about the added dusting. I certainly noticed dust on the things I shared today at Small Reflections, but hope no one else does.
Hugs and blessings,

the planet of janet said...

i'd love to put family photos on the wall like that. you did a great job!

Sayre said...

I have so many photos that I don't have enough wall! Most of them are sitting in a closet waiting for me to figure out what to do with them.

I did the sponging thing at our last house. It turned out quite nicely too - but I don't live there anymore. I like yours - it looks quite cool and that's important down here!!!!

Faye said...

Good writing swampangel! And what a nice daughter to continue to support mom's hula obsession. Looks like you're fortunate to have plenty of old photos for a family gallery--or two! And you're right about what the walls of our home respresent--I appreciate the shelter of my home every day.

Peter said...

Yep, the family photo galleries are winners.