You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Passion and Cigars

Passiflora sexflora, also known as a Goat's Foot passionflower. They are rare, but quite abundant where I work. Jennifer Possley who works at Fairchild Botanical Gardens wrote an article about them http://www.dade.fnpschapters.org/pastnewslets/2006/newslet605.html#FTFA . She comes out to my park fairly often to check on our Passifloras. I haven't seen any of them bloom yet.

Not really sure what kind of tree this is, but I sort of like this picture.
According to my friend Misti, this is a rare cigar orchid. I have been looking at the odd plant outside my office window for over 2 years now, and noticed for the first time that it was starting to bloom. I'll have to get out a ladder so I can get better pictures when it's in full bloom. Thanks for the ID, Misti! Come down and see it!!



2 comments:

Dayngr said...

Great to find your blog! Adding you to my blogroll as another neighbor. Great stuff here.

Unknown said...

You always find the coolest things at work. :) Love the orchids. It'll be fun watching them bloom, don't forget to show is more. ♥