You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Monday, September 10, 2007

Mystery Lizard


Friday I walked out of my office at lunchtime and spotted this young iguana hanging out catching some rays...




Then some movement caught my eye on a nearby oak tree. This is what I saw. At first I thought it was a bearded dragon because the overall shape kind of seemed to match, but the coloring is all wrong.

No spikey beard, but it does have a sweet face like a dragon does.

I couldn't get any closer. This guy is very skittish! We played ring-around-the-oak-tree for about 10 minutes just so I could get these shots.

I checked on the FWC website, which is usually pretty good about exotics, but I couldn't find anything like this.

Note: After emailing pics to a vet friend of mine, I do believe this may be a female agama agama. Not native at all and since there's a male redheaded agama in the area, I imagine it will start breeding soon, if it hasn't already. At least they're not as large as the iguanas and most likely not nearly as destructive.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Neat lizard! I miss lizards, we just don't have many up here.