You can take the GRITS out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the GRITS!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Southern Everglades Mystery?

UPDATE 7/22/11 - I have determined, most definitely, that this IS the old abandoned Aerojet General site.  The largest solid rocket ever built still lies beneath the surface here...10 stories tall...  I am planning a return trip to get better pictures and to see if I can locate the rocket!

A few weeks ago, my oldest and I took a bike ride out in the Southern Everglades Wildlife and Environmental Area. It is located just outside the entrance to Everglades National Park in Homestead.

As you can see from the picture above, the area is vast and open...the scenery doesn't change much. You either like it there or hate it. I like it. After leaving the congested city, it is nice to see so much open, green space...no cookie cutter houses or strip malls...just miles of open prairie.


During the Cold War, south Florida had a few Nike missile bases...I am not 100% sure if this area was part of all that or not. The abandoned buildings don't look military at all and there are no old signs or anything that leaves any clues as to what this area once was.

There are two of these wierd things. No idea what they are. If any of you happen to know, let me know! Maybe they are some kind of left over military thingamajiggers...



The ENP recently opened up a missile base to the public, as a tour. This is not it as it is not on park property. I do know that there were several different sights used for different things...fire control, launches, etc. Maybe this area was something. Any ideas??
On our ride back to the truck, we finally saw a couple gators across the canal. Can you see one?

A desolate, lonely place that holds some kind of mystery...just not sure yet what that mystery is. Guess I'll keep searching for the answer. In the meantime, if you happen to find yourself way down in south Florida, I recommend taking a ride out here. It's a totally different perspective on what Miami/Homestead is like.

7 comments:

Larry Perez said...

I believe these are remnants from the old Aerojet complex-- an assembly operation that intended to build launch rockets for NASA and transport them to Cape Canaveral via the canals of southwestern Miami-Dade. To my knowledge the business never really got off the ground, but the hangar and other infrastructure still remain.

SwampAngel65 said...

Could be...it is not along the Aerojet canal, though... would that make a difference?

SwampAngel65 said...

BTW....your book looks very interesting! Just the kind of stuff I like reading about. I think I may have to order a copy!

The Florida Blogger said...

I'm sure those gators are plentiful down around those parts.

Sayre said...

When I first moved to Oklahoma, the whole state looked like your first picture. I had the oddest feeling of being stranded. It took a while, but I got used to it, then loved it. And when I moved back to North Florida, it felt claustrophobic. I still love big open spaces though!

Misti said...

Ahh, flat landscape! It's so fun to see! I'm glad you are blogging again!

Anonymous said...

you were right on top of it, in the hangar
http://www.motherboard.tv/2011/6/28/the-largest-solid-fuel-rocket-still-lies-beneath-florida-s-moon-rocket-ghost-town--2